Two month update:
I have been amiss due to several things of which I am explaining now.
- Currently, I’m in a ‘theatre’ show*. Now it is not a phrynge (pronounced /frinj/) show as we have been asked not to use the name (even when it comes to clarifying that we are not a part of it). Which is fair, as the word is trademarked.
Questions? Ask away.
- Said theatre show was conceived and written by myself and good friend Christian Zyp during this time. To those who have ever written a play and performed it themselves, I embrace the wind of knowing head nods. To those who haven’t, it takes a lot of time. And focus. And a very understanding wife and child.
- I have formally left my job and am now freelancing more. In the past two months I have written for Gig City, The Edmonton Sun, The Sherwood Park News (a couple of advertorials) and two script outlines for CBC’s ‘The Irrelevant Show’ which are still being worked on. Also, I’ve been taking pictures. A lot of pictures. Oh yeah, and I wrote that play I mentioned above. Music included.
- I haven’t been healthy. I’m beating the crap out of myself, mentally and physically, for all the best reasons. This is catching up to me as well.
- Little Radness had his first birthday party. It was wonderful for everyone, including adults. It was pirate themed. We had a bouncy castle (excellent friends Jen Brown and Matt Stanton lent it to us). It was magical mayhem.
- I paddled down the North Saskatchewan River.
And now I find myself here, alone. Elizabeth and her parents have taken Captain Hero on a trip across the mountains to a conference in Vancouver. I am in the middle of my show run, so I am home.
I will tell you this, without trying to get too sappy (and failing), I miss those weirdos.
I see my family every day and every day, there are obstacles and moments of pure love. There are frustrations of which I am the creator and the receiver of. There are many trials and transmutations. But, this one thing is true: when they are not near me, all I think of is how beautifully inspiring my wife and child are. I instinctually forget all the bad and focus on the good, it is like a brain filter for positive memory recollection.
I think about how they make me a better human being. How I would be a lesser being, a tired cliche, a fundamentally flawed person without them. I would probably he using my powers for evil if they were not in my life.
With that said, I slept in to 10:30 this morning. Fucking rights.